Slow Cooker Queso Blanco
I love a good cheese dip. Sometimes I don’t have a clue what I’m eating (yes, I know…that can be a bad thing) but if said food contains cheese I’m in. Case in point, Queso Blanco Dip. I love Mexican food but there is a certain ingredient, I’m not sure which one, that causes me to get really, really, sick when I eat it. This only happens with real Mexican food so sadly, I avoid it, but I love cooking good Mexican (albeit as Mexican as I can get) food at home.
Queso Blanco is one of my and my family’s favorites. It is so easy to make and this recipe is great for parties because you can make it in a slow cooker – crockpot AND as an added bonus, you can freeze it ahead of time for up to 1 month so you can make it now to have on hand for entertaining.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds deli white sliced American cheese, sliced
- Steam onions in the microwave. Place in a microwave-safe bowl, cover loosely with microwave-safe plastic wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, drained tomatoes, milk, chopped chiles, cumin, oregano and pepper.
- Tear cheese slices.
- Place torn cheese into slow cooker.
- Pour onion mixture over cheese.
- Cover, and cook on low for 2 hours. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
Serve with tortilla chips!
Make Ahead/Freezing Tips:
Allow Queso Blanco to cool down.
Spoon into freezer-safe containers and freeze up to 1 month.
I used a glass loaf pan that I then covered in freezer wrap marking the date on the wrapper.
To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in microwave on medium.