My Front Porch Herb Garden ~ Elements of Summer

Front Porch Herb-Garden View from Arbor

Herbs are the perfect Element of Summer.  You can use them in so many ways and they are so easy to grow, snip for use now and dry for use later.

Fresh Cut Herbs Two

I have always dreamed of a kitchen herb garden.  One where I could open the French Doors off of my huge kitchen and cut some fresh herbs to use in something I was cooking or baking.  Since I don’t have French Doors off of my galley kitchen (there is a window that opens onto a roof below) I decided to make due and instead of having only flowers on my front porch this year I made it a Front Porch Herb Garden.

Herb Garden from Arbor

I gathered some herbs I already had ~ the big pot of chives was grown by my youngest when he was only 4.  He loves that they come back every year and he pulls some off to munch on when I let him ;)

I recycled an old bird bath base to hold a metal bucket filled with dill ~ I hope to use it for seasoning my pickles this year.

Herb Garden Elements of Summer

This rusty planter has rosemary and basil happily growing it and shares its space with a well worn wooden church.

Herb Garden with petunias

The pink pot contains Stevia which is new to me this year.  I’m excited to see if I can successfully harvest some to sweeten coffee and tea.  To the right of the Stevia in the metal pot is Hyssop ~ also new to me this year.  I need to look up some ways to use it.

Herb Garden with Purple Petunias

This is definitely not an herb but I still wanted something flowering on the porch so right by the door is this lovely purple petunia ~ it was a hanging basket and I just cut off the hanger and placed it in this vintage wooden plant holder.

Front Porch Herb Garden Front Door

Here’s  a view from the front yard….there seems to be a lot of chaos in this area!  The clematis is once again taking over everything.

Purple-Petunias Elements of Summer

I just like this picture so it’s a bonus!

Fresh Cut Herbs One

And lastly are some of my herbs cut fresh and laid out all pretty.

I’m so glad I had the opportunity to share with you some of my personal Elements of Summer ~ be sure to stop by the other tours below to see what they’re sharing!

image

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Sharing at:  Monday Funday

Summer Bedroom Refresh and Tips on How to Choose Bedding
Easy No-Paint Furniture Refresh

Comments

Thanks so much, Laura! I used to have a porch rail where the clematis is and it twined all through it. I loved it but I had to demolish part of the porch last year so the poor clematis has a little trellis to grow on and it does not like being limited. Have a wonderful summer ~ hugs, mb

Thank you so much, Angela! Happy Summer to you as well ~ I can’t believe it’s already June…I always want summer to go by s-l-o-w-l-y. hugs, mb

Squirrels are greedy little buggers. I saw one running through my yard this morning. I don’t think ~ fingers crossed~ he’ll like any of my herbs but you never know.

Mary Beth, I have a kitchen herb garden… you will love it! But mine is not as sweet as yours! You have done a wonderful job of making it not only useful but so darling. I planted stevia for the first time too this year! I love love love the bird on your door… can I ask, where did you get it? So fun partying with you!

Thank you so much for your kind comments, Yvonne! We’ll have to swap stevia recipes. :) I bought the bird at Joann Fabrics for half off last weekend. It’s a joy to party with you as well. hugs, Mary Beth

Having the herbs that you need for cooking conveniently located on your front porch is a wonderful idea. I love the pretty way you potted and displayed the plants, too. I saw Stevia last year and wanted to try it. I’ll have to look for it when I’m out plant shopping.
    Paula@SweetPea´s last blog post ..May Stitch Fix Review

Mary Beth I just love your front porch herb garden! Anything that is beautiful and functional is a hit in my book and you’ve created such a lovely space. So fun to be part of this series with you this week!
    Vanessa

I’m impressed, wish I had your motivation! I’ve grown some herbs on the windowsill but never so many. It’s great that you’re trying new things. Good luck with them!
    Kathleen´s last blog post ..Lilacs in Bloom

I just love your herb garden, Mary Beth! I have no inclination towards a green thumb but I do love beautiful green plants and flowers! Since we built our front deck I’ve been trying to learn more about taking care of them because that’s usually my hubby’s area.

Thanks for joining us on the tour!

I love your herb garden Mary Beth!! Your clematis really is taking over – they grow like crazy once they pop up for summer don’t they?? Love your summer post – thanks for sharing on Monday Funday! Pinned!