The tip I read said to do this in a plastic bag but I didn’t want to nuke food in plastic so I used a glass measuring cup instead and it worked like a charm.
The Easy Way to Soften Brown Sugar
1. Place your brown sugar in a glass, microwave-safe, container.
2. Dampen a paper towel with water. I wet my towel and then squeezed it out. You want it damp but not soggy.
3. Place the dampened paper towel on top of the brown sugar.
4. Cover your bowel with a lid or plate that is microwave-safe.
5. Place in microwave on high for 20 seconds.
6. Remove from microwave and stir with a fork breaking up the brown sugar chunks. This will not be hard to do as the they are now soft chunks, not hard.
7. Continue this cycle if necessary until all of the large, hard chunks are gone. I had to do this 3 times for my container.
You now have soft brown sugar that you can use in your recipe!
Do you have a favorite tip for keeping your brown sugar soft?