My Trash to Treasure Garden Bench

Pin on Pinterest0Share on YummlyShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Reddit0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Google+13

Garden Bench/Weight bench redo ~ less than $15.00 ~ trash to treasure

Years ago I worked out with weights {when I say years I means y-e-a-r-s}.  I loved it but soon there was no time in my life for that so I gave away all of the weights and kept the bench ~ I’m a semi-hoarder.  I covered the weight bench with a red gingham fabric and wrapped the legs in a country cow fabric ~ stick with me here….country was all the rage at the time.  I put the bench in my sunroom and left it there….winter, spring, summer and fall {the metal rusted and it had seen better days}.  This year I finally redid the flow of my sunroom {I think I promised you pictures….someday I will take them and post them} and there was no longer room for the bench.  I almost put it out for the trash which doesn’t really mean it would go into the trash ~ we have people who come through the neighborhood the night before garbage pick up and take items that are usable…okay…so now I’m off topic.  Anyway, I almost got rid of it but decided to give it a redo.

I bought some Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Satin Island Splash ~ love the blue ~ and bought one yard of outdoor fabric at Joann Fabrics.

I removed the fabric from the legs of the bench, wiped them off and lightly sanded the metal to remove some of the rust.

I removed the padded bench top and took off the gingham fabric.

Once everything was apart and wiped off I spray painted the frame and covered the padded area with the outdoor fabric.  I used a staple gun to get a nice snug fit.

The bench turned out better than I hoped and has held up through SEVERAL rains and run ins with bird droppings ~ I just hose it off every time one of my feathered friends decides to ‘use’ it.

The hardest part is deciding where to put it……..

I had it out by the firepit amongst tree trunks and planters…..

I moved it over by my little guy when he was having some fun with a sprinkler toy…….

I put it up front by my flowerbeds……..

and when my husband was mowing I moved it onto the front porch…….

I have no idea where it will end up next!  It’s pretty enough to bring indoors over the autumn and winter and is handy for extra seating anywhere.

Linking to:  504 Main, Chic on a Shoestring, One Project Closer, Tatertots & Jello, Best of the Weekend, The Dedicated House, Sewlicious Home Decor, The Chicken Chick, Uncommon Designs Online ~ Monday FundayThe DIY Showoff, Homecoming The DIY’ers, Huckleberry Love,BeBetsy , The DIY Dreamer, Home{work} Wednesday, Carolyn’s HomeworkNot Just a Housewife

Getting Creative at Home Blog Tour
Project Inspire{d} Linky Party #25

Comments

Mary Beth, I love what you did with this bench and I think I have one buried around here! I also LOVE the semi-hoarder…because I can totally relate! :) This is so pretty and fresh! Pinning! Have a happy Friday and come share this tomorrow night at Best of the Weekend if you have time – love to your pretty smiling face! :) Hugs!
    Cindy Eikenberg´s last blog post ..Easy Sand Dollar Wall Hanging

Thanks so much for always being so sweet and supportive, Cindy ~ I’ll be over tomorrow night for the par-tay! Have a wonderful evening,

Hugs,

Thanks, Shannon! Nothing could possibly look bad in Aqua ~ it’s the decorator equivalent of a little black dress. 😉

Hugs,

I love it now too! It looks great! I also can relate to the semi-hoarder comment! At the moment my basement looks like an episode from the TV show hoarders! (You can take a look in my post associated with comment if you want, it’ll make you feel much better I’m sure!) lol

Tania
    Tania´s last blog post ..Some New Art and My Basement Hoard!

Thanks, Tania. I’ll be over to check out your basement ~ we hoarders need to stick together. 😉

Have a wonderful weekend.

I love your bench redo, it turned out very nice. I love that blue! I’m one of those that would of grabbed it out of the trash. Lol. I use to embarrass my girls by digging in the cabinet shop dumpster for wood. Use to get some really nice pieces. No trash in dumpster, just wood. I like the bench by the fire pit. Thanks for sharing!
    Linda @ Mixed Kreations´s last blog post ..Handcrafted Owl Charm Bracelet

Thanks so much, Linda. I am always so tempted to pick up trash by the road but I have NO place to put another thing. Someday, though, I am going to just do it. Thanks for stopping by!
      Hugs,

A woman after my heart! It’s so difficult for me to part with anything that might, just maybe, way into the future, be useful for something. I love the color and fabric you chose for your redo. And, portable outdoor seating that looks great is so wonderful to have. I’m sharing this on my Once Upon a Firefly FB page.

Very pretty. You’ve just inspired to makeover my hubby’s weight bench. It’s ugly and doesn’t match anything in our house. I think I will give it a makeover to help it blend in with its surroundings. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for stopping by, Angelique. I would love to see what you do with your weight bench if you have a chance to share.

Hugs,

Hi Mary Beth, the bench looks great. I loved your comment about the little black dress!
    Thanks to you, I bet a lot of women will be searching the garage or shed for their husband’s old weight bench. They may have to take the paint cans, dog crate, or box of Christmas decorations off of it first! 😉
    I had an idea. Since the legs have pre-drilled holes, have you considered adding a shelf? It’ll provide you with a little extra storage. Who couldn’t use a little extra storage?!
    Maybe with some quarter inch white washed pressure treated plywood (boy, that’s a mouthful!), or wooden lattice. A pretty wrought iron decorative piece could work too.
    You could also get the trellis in PVC, but that would definitely require more support.
    Combine a little creative work with washers and L-brackets, I bet you could get it done in no time.
    Regardless of where you put the bench, adding a shelf below will make it hard to believe it originally started out as a weight bench!
    Take care,
    Rena :)

Fabulous! I used to work out with weights too, long, long ago when I used to belong to a gym. Wow, that WAS a long time ago! I was supposed to sell my weights at my yard sale on the weekend but I forgot AGAIN. bloody weights… um Love your bench. This wasn’t the garden post you referred to? I couldn’t find another garden post.

ps you seem to have fallen off my blog reading list so I’m off to find out what’s going on.

Cheers ma belle!