Coffee-Dyed Book Page Flowers

I have a bit of a thing for books, coffee and flowers so when I saw a beautiful craft with tutorial in Mary Jane’s Farm Magazine I really wanted to try it.  My biggest obstacle wasn’t actually making the flowers but using pages from a perfectly good book.  I had such a hard time pulling those pages out but I did it and all in all I am pretty happy with the results.

Above is my ‘copy’ of the vignette and below is my magazine inspiration.

In order to make these flowers you need a book with easily removable pages, glue, tape, a hot glue gun, natural wired twine and wire cutters, 3 tablespoons of instant coffee and 4 ounces of warm water for the coffee staining solution and a foam brush.

First, I removed my pages from the book.

I then brushed the pages with the coffee solution.

Next, I hung the pages to dry which took less than 1 hour.

Once dry I joined the pages together in sets of two overlapping the long end of the pages and applying a thin line of glue flattening the glued strip with my hand.

The next step once the glue had dried was to fold my paper accordion-style into four equal parts.

With the two folded edges facing toward me, I cut the paper into 1/4 inch wide strips leaving 1/4 inch uncut at the end.

Next, roll the paper keeping the tension tight as you roll forming a flower shape as you go.

Wrap the base of the flower tightly with tape.

Cut a piece of wire for the stem.  The length of the wire will depend on the depth of your holder/vase place additional wire to allow for the ‘curl’.  Wrap the end of the wire around your finger to make the curly shape.

Place hot glue in the bottom center of your book page flower and insert the curly end of the wire into the bottom center of the flower.

Arrange your new-vintage coffee-dyed book pages and you’re all done!

I’m linking this up to Debbie Doo’s Winter Knockoff Copycat Party, Pretty Things for You, Yesterday on Tuesday, Live. Laugh. Rowe., Beyond the Picket Fence, The Shabby Creek Cottage, House of HepworthsTidy Mom, Frugal GirlsParlo and LogiOne Project CloserYour Homebased Mom, Angels HomesteadMonday Funday at That’s What Che Said, Katherine’s Corner

Craft Shopping Made Easy and Affordable with Consumer Crafts
It's Party Time Linky Party #17 and Features from Last Week's Party

Comments

Thanks so much for hosting the copy cat challenge ~ that inspired me to actually get my butt in gear and make this project.

Have a great week!

~hugs, Mary Beth~

Great project. Your flowers turned out really pretty. I couldn’t bring myself into pulling out any pages from any of my books, that I had for my paper and wire wrapped beads. So I went to the half price book store and bought me a couple books to use when I needed pages from a book for a project.

You can also use tea to dye pages too. I have used both but I like coffee better because the pages come out darker. When I’m in a hurry I just turn oven on low temp, while I am dying pages then lay them on cookie sheet, turn oven off, and place in oven for few minutes.

Thank you for sharing this lovely project and wonderful tutorial.

Linda
    Mixed Kreations´s last blog post ..Crafty Creations – Love knot Pendant Tutorial

Thanks, Randi ~ I’m glad you like them and I, too, am a sucker for anything made from books.

Have a lovely week!!!

~hugs, Mary Beth~

Thanks, Donna! I love bright colors but sometimes the sepia/brownish tones are a welcome change.

Have a lovely week.

~hugs, Mary Beth~

Great flowers! I made some paper flowers this week too! I called mine a Pom Pom rose, but made it pretty much exactly the same way. This is such an easy technique. I love how yours turned out!
    ngnrdgrl´s last blog post ..Pinspired Paper Roses

Thanks so much! I’ll be over to look at yours. Must be the time of year…we need some flowers with this weather even if they are paper.

Have a great week!

~Hugs, Mary Beth~

Those are simply adorable. I love how they — and your whole arrangement — turned out! I love working with print material, including music. :>)

katie goldsworthy says

I love these! I love that they are coming out of that spool too!
    Thanks for sharing!
    –Katie

I love how vintage these look. This reminded me of how I used to make flowers out of Kleenex, thanks for bringing back such a fun memory for me. Thank you so much for sharing with Saturday Spotlight. Have a great week and come back soon!

Thanks, April! Now I’m curious…how do you make flowers out of Kleenex? I would love to see a tutorial for that.

Have a wonderful week,

Hi Mary Beth : ) Sorry it took me awhile to respond. I’ve been busy with my 2 blogs and am just now making it through all of my emails. My goodness it’s been a long time since I made these, probably 35 + years! I figured it would be easier to watch a tutorial instead of me trying to explain it in writing, and luckily I was able to find a video on it! It’s on YouTube and can be found here. http://youtu.be/T50Yqb8p_jo
    April @ Angel’s Homestead´s last blog post ..Super Saver Sunday ~ Homemade Chicken Stock For Just Pennies!

That was so sweet of you to get back to me with a tutorial ~ I really appreciate it, April.

I had no idea you had 2 blogs…talk about BUSY!

Have a great week,