Clean Your Silver without Polishing ~ Homemaking 101 Tip #7

Pin on Pinterest99Share on YummlyShare on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Reddit0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Google+0

With the Holidays just around the corner it’s time to start thinking about getting your serving items {silver, dishes, linens} ready.  I love silver, especially antique silver, but I have always been hesitant to use it because of having to POLISH it ~ groan ~.  When I was younger I remember my mom having a plastic tray with a metal insert that she would put in the sink and then fill with water and something else that I just could not remember what it was.  I had seen some pins on pinterest and the most common something else was baking soda.  I thought I had nothing to lose so I gave it a try.

I found this antique silver tray at my favorite antique store for $5.00.  It was in definite need of some polishing/cleaning so this was my test piece.

First, I lined my kitchen sink with aluminum foil ~

Next, I added about a cup of baking soda to the middle of the foil ~ be sure you have your sink stopper in because you don’t want your mixture to go down the drain ~ you want your silver to ‘soak’.

Now….all the tips I read said to use very hot water but that didn’t work for me.  I don’t have my water heater set too high because of the kids and not wanting them to get burned accidentally so I ended up having to do this a second time but instead boiled some water in the tea kettle.  This worked like a charm for me but you may want to try just the ‘very hot water’ option first.

There it is ~ a quick, easy and inexpensive way to clean your silver WITHOUT polishing.

Linking here

It's Party Time ~ Weekly Linky Party
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies

Comments

Thank you for the tip. There is no way that I want to sit and polish silver. This is why I pass up sterling silver.
    ~we may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.
    http:simpleesue.com/household-tips-tuesday-3

Mary Beth says

Thank so much for stopping by, Sue ~ I’m glad you liked the tip. Since I’ve been cleaning my silver this way I find that I am definitely using it more and I’m on the lookout to buy more ~ the baking soda and hot water are so much easier than the smelly nasty cream I used to use. Have a wonderful week! hugs, mb

Vicki says

I came over from My Romantic Home. What an amazing tip. I’ve steered clear of silver/silverplate for this very reason of polishing, yet I’ve inherited pieces I’d love to be using for display. Thanks!

Nancy Marino says

I LOVE silver and have some sweet pieces, but while I start out enjoying the polishing it soon becomes a chore especially when I buy a big lot of silverware or a boxlot of trays. My husband thinks I’m nuts when I display them partially or totally tarnished. I think they still have charm that way- sometimes more.

Mary Beth says

Hi Gina, I have never tried it on silver jewelry so I’m not sure. If I ever do, I’ll be sure to let you know. Sorry my answer wasn’t more helpful. Thanks so much for stopping by. Mary Beth

Hi Darcy,

Once the water cools down it looses it’s effectiveness. That being said, when I cleaned my silver all of the cleaning took place in approximately 3 minutes. I cleaned some more today just to time if for you. : ) Once it’s done, rinse and dry with a soft cloth.

I hope that answered your question.

Thanks for stopping by,