A Gardenful of Handkerchiefs

2009-06-18_0953

2009-06-18_0962

A few days ago I went to a local antique store. This particular store always has the best vignettes and displays and is a wonderful place to get ideas for decorating at home.  One of the prettiest little scenes I came across was a table with an antique vase with a handkerchief  “stuffed” in it.  It gave me the inspiration for a “Gardenful of Hankies!”.  I starched some of my favorites, gathered my vases and “stuffed” the hankies inside…simple and easy!

hankie hugs, mb

I am linking this to Julia blog carnival at Hooked on Houses-Hooked on Fridays!  I hope to see you there.

24-Hour Picnic Salad
Grandma's Best Potato Salad

Comments

What a super idea. The color of the yellow hankie is especially lovely. Jane T.
    .-= Atticmag´s last blog ..Atticmag Rug Giveaway =-.

How fun! I’m so impressed your hankies are behaving themselves and posing properly for the photos… I guess that’s the starch at work!

Jasmine @ The Suburban Sentiment says

I’d never have thought of using handkerchiefs like this…what a clever imagination you have.

It’s a shame hankies are becoming a bit of a rarity these days. I used to have a tonne when I was younger, but it seems that these days most people always use tissues.
    .-= Jasmine @ The Suburban Sentiment´s last blog ..Hooked on: Terrariums Part II =-.

These remind me of my grandmothers hankies. She would embroider them all so sweetly… not until i was MUCH older did i appreciate the artestry.

Thanks for sharing.

TTFN~~Claudia
    .-= Claudia@DipityRoad´s last blog ..Shy Summer =-.

That is so pretty and a great idea! I have a few hankies that were my grandmothers and never know what to do with them. They just sit in a drawer. Thank you for the great idea!

What a cute idea! This would also look good for a tablescape centerpiece! I just came across a couple of valentine hankies in a thrift store. I’ll have to keep this in mind for using them on Valentines Day.

marty says

Does anyone have a website where we can get ideas for sewing projects, using antique handkerchiefs. We are a group of ten ladies that make quilts and other hand sewn articles to sell as a fund raiser for a botanical garden in
    so. California.